Re: AB: PRIDE OF ALABAMA

  • Subject: Re: AB: PRIDE OF ALABAMA
  • From: "donald" <donald@eastland.net>
  • Date: Thu, 04 Jun 2009 23:11:19 -0000

Chris,

The introduction is entirely from Jim Washington via a project set up by Betsy Higgins. I only provided a couple of rhizomes for the trial.

Nice work? Wasn't really that in this case. The cross is Snow Blanket X unknown. It's an OGB- type. A couple of pods with very few seeds and no subsequent germination. I collected the pod as a beepod (interesting discussion on those on iris talk currently), but it's likely I was the bee and this was the result of cleaning pollen off the brush by putting the crumbs on a nearby bloom(s). I do that a lot and usually record it as an attempted daub. Proximity of the blooms rather than planning a cross is the criteria. For a time I was frustrated that I was getting more pods from the brush cleaning than from those planned crosses. Then I was told by an experienced hybridizer also from an area with low humidity that too much pollen can act as a dessicant and less is more when working under hot, dry and windy conditions. That has helped get pods where I wanted them, but I still clean the brush on neighboring blooms if they are available. And my record keeping still takes a timeout once in a while. Some things just don't improve with age, I guess.

Donald