SHOW: SIB 'Esther C.D.M.'
iris-photos@yahoogroups.com

Here's one that I brought to the show. 'Esther C.D.M.' is a VERY late blooming siberian iris, attesting to how early and wacky our spring was if I was able to bring a late bloomer like this to our show! (For those of you who might remember, my garden is possibly the coldest growing zone of our club's regular exhibitors.)

I hope I have all the facts right in this story, so please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. Two well known Siberian hybridizers were at our show, and as we were admiring this stalk, they mentioned that McGarvey was a geneticist. He worked intently to get 'Esther C.D.M.', and knew that it was a recessive white (which I believe means if you cross it with anything, you'll never get a pure white like the original. it will always mostly resemble the other parent).

Well, when he introduced it, the original price was $1,500! I think I paid $6 for it a few years ago!

'Esther C.D.M.' is practically recognizable by just it's foliage, since it holds it's structure impeccably, and is always beautiful and sword-straight.

Now, I wonder what "C.D.M." stands for? I never did get to ask that!

Enjoy! I sure did!

Adam~

ESTHER C. D. M.

(W. McGarvey, R. 1981) Sdlg. 74-71-27-W-1. SIB (28 chrom.), 40" (102 cm), M
White. McG 59-P-1 X 70-Swirl-63-3-2-W-2. McGarvey 1982.

JPEG image

Esther C.D.M.
Best Siberian of Show, and Runner-up for Best Specimen of Show. Grown by Adam Cordes of Hillman.

JPEG image

Esther C.D.M. closeup
Best Siberian of Show, and Runner-up for Best Specimen of Show. Grown by Adam Cordes of Hillman.