Re: Borer Control

  • Subject: [iris-photos] Re: Borer Control
  • From: "nebrjean1027" <jms1027@cableone.net>
  • Date: Tue, 09 Mar 2004 01:05:11 -0000

Hi, Bo

Yes I do burn the irises and I did clean up real good last fall.
It's about time to burn if I can just find a calm day to do it.  So
hopefully, I won't have any trouble this year.  Other irisarians
have told me that borers are much less of a problem in the country
than they are in town.  I understand that they can migrate up to 7
city blocks.
--- In iris-photos@yahoogroups.com, "Katherine Cordes"
<acordes@f...> wrote:
> Hi Jean.
>
> I have only found 3 borers in my iris gardens.  I, too, live in
zone
> 4.5 (4b) and have about 100 (and growing. . .) known Bearded
> Cultivars.  Hopefully I won't see to many, but as I understand it
> (correct me please, someone) borer eggs survive winter in rubbish
and
> dead weeds/iris leaves from the previous year.  If you can keep
the
> mulch/dead stuff out of the garden, you probably can keep the
borer
> problem down.
>
> I hope to burn my tons of rubbish this spring after the snow
leaves.
> But you say this doesn't work for you?? Oh, boy, then maybe there
is no
> hope for me!
>
> maybe i'm not awating spring so much after all. . .
> Bo~
>
> Adam Cordes
> Hillman, Michigan
> Region 6
> Zone 4.5
>

> > Okay, you guys, here is the question:  What do you do for borer
> > control?  I saw where one of you said you burn.  I do that too
AND