Re: Re:inexpensive iris

  • Subject: Re: [iris-photos] Re:inexpensive iris
  • From: Bill Wells <wells@train.missouri.org>
  • Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2004 20:36:17 -0600

Since I visited Wild's a couple of summers ago, I thought I'd throw in
my two cents' worth. I was there on a weekend during daylily bloom
season and there was no staff around to help, even though there were
many people there to view the daylilies. The daylily display beds were
extensive and all of us visitors were writing down names as fast as we

I saw no growing fields that day, though I was told later that the
fields were only a short distance further down the road.

I also was told (can't remember who so consider it hearsay) that the
business had been bought out from the original owners and had gone
downhill since. I personally think that the latest Wild daylily releases
are way behind the curve compared to the big, beautiful pie crust,
edged, etc. stuff now coming out. However, since I can't afford new
daylilies, Wild's is a tremendous source for cheaper daylilies. I have
bought several batches from them for the last couple of years and have
received good stock with 100% survivability.

I bought a hosta special from them also - very cheap, and all correctly
labelled and all survived.

I would not buy irises from them, though. There are better prices around
for that. Irises are not their specialty, that's for sure.

Bill Wells (in Southern Mo where we are feelin' kinda *Wild* with the
daffodils and iris reticulata blooming away!)

donald wrote:
>>Gilbert H. Wild
> The company is located in Sarcoxie, Missouri.  Seems like there
> might be several iris-photos members in the area who might be able
> to give an accurate reference on the current status as a company.
> Just a thought.
> Donald Eaves

Yahoo! Groups Links