  • Subject: [iris-photos] *germanica*
  • From: "David Ferguson" <manzano57@msn.com>
  • Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2004 20:37:32 -0700
  • Seal-send-time: Wed, 17 Mar 2004 20:37:34 -0700

Hope Ken Walker doesn't mind.  This is a photo from his web site (a poor copy).  You should be able to see the original at his web site.  This is one of the false I. kashmiriana, the same as the one I'm growing.  I'm guessing that this is likely the one that was counted as a diploid; at least it certainly looks like a diploid (and behaves like one two).  More specifically it looks like one of the many hybrids between I. pallida and I. variegata.  This would certainly explain some similar karyotypes, altough I have no idea which type was actually compared with I. pallida.  If it really did come from Kashmir, I think a strong case could be made for it having travelled from the northeastern Mediterranean.
I suspect that the travel of Iris was more likely to Kashmir than away from (at least initially).  Just guessing.

Yahoo! Groups Links