Re: Re: Re: *germanica*

  • Subject: Re: [iris-photos] Re: Re: *germanica*
  • From: "Neil A Mogensen" <neilm@charter.net>
  • Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2004 10:45:45 -0500

What I find even more curious is the nearly identical karyotypes of *I. kashmiriana* and *I. pallida* that were published by L. F. Randolph--again this coming from my rusty file drawer memory.  I recall being struck by the nearly identical morphology.  To me this suggested close affinity or evolutionary relationship.
All of these clones and species may have been highly mobile from Kashmir to the Mediterranean through human movements carrying rhizomes some distance and planting on grave sites, for example.  Also, some rhizomes are rather fragrant--not orris root alone, by any means--and may have had human utility far into prehistory.  Just because we collect something in Turkey does not mean necessarily that the type or plant evolved there.
Linda, Dave Ferguson could hardly post photographs on any of the other sites--even though in this case the posted links had to serve as these were HIPS photos, not our own.
I presume the *germanica* in the HIPS "Quick Fix" is the 44-chromosome one?
As to the 'La Neige' ancestry in both Missouri and Blue Rhythm, I find this delightful.  La Neige, as I grew it some forty-five or fifty years ago was basically a white *I variegata" if such a thing could exist.  It had neither the yellow pigment nor the "umbrata" pattern overlay on the fall, other than a tiny dart of blue-violet at the end of the beard.  The photo--I think Dave posted it?--of La Neige did not have the crisp, flared and cleanly tailored form of what I grew.
*I. trojana* as I grew it in Idaho did resemble Blue Rhythm, but not Missouri.
One very close to species origin not mentioned was DOMINION.  It doesn't resemble the Asiatics, but nonetheless is but a single step from one of them.
Neil Mogensen    z 7 western NC

Yahoo! Groups Links