Re: Re: Some Iris photos for Catherine3

  • Subject: [iris-photos] Re: Re: Some Iris photos for Catherine3
  • From: "Neil A Mogensen" neilm@charter.net
  • Date: Thu, 3 Mar 2005 09:02:10 -0500

I'm like Bill.  I looked at that block and thought--what a good use for cast-offs!  With the sticky red goo in which I try to grow iris, the ideal solution is heap 18" of topsoil on top--or use blocks and plant in the gaps.
Burying old mothers deeply is difficult as a solution in the garden here, for if they don't grow until the bed is reworked, the chances of the old mother taking off and growing at the wrong time and mixing up the stock is substantial.
Compost in which irises have spent three or more years occasionally produce sprouts from fragments of surviving rhizomes.  One has to be careful just where it is applied, I've found.
Your photos whet the appetite for spring!  More, more!
Neil Mogensen

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
click here
Web Bug from http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=298184.6018725.7038619.3001176/D=groups/S=:HM/A=2593423/rand=625490583