Re: Most popular iris

  • Subject: Re: [iris-photos] Most popular iris
  • From: Robt R Pries rpries@sbcglobal.net
  • Date: Sun, 6 Mar 2005 15:19:20 -0800 (PST)

There is certainly more enthusiasm among Iris collectors for the bearded Iris. But if one simply were to access popularity by volume of dollars spent the bulbous Iris would win hands down. People who have gardens with many types of plants spend more on the reticulates and Dutch Irises than they do on bearded irises. Part of the reason is that many do not know about smaller classes of bearded iris and tall-beardeds often take up more space than desired in todays smaller gardens. Siberian Irises have become more popular for mixed borders than TBs and part of the reason maybe boredom. I can tell you that often at shows, non iris gardeners will look at a brand new introduction and dismiss it as “oh my grandmother grew that”. Of course the TB’s are known as the poor man’s orchid, but many people find them too common to get excited over them.

"Rejean D. Millette" <rmillette@hostas.ca> wrote:

Am I wrong?

When I read about irises, it seems the bearded iris are the most used everywhere.

Is it thru?

Reggie D. Millette

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
click here