HYB: TB: Pink Seedlings

  • Subject: [iris-photos] HYB: TB: Pink Seedlings
  • From: "FRANCELLE EDWARDS" fjmjedwards@worldnet.att.net
  • Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2005 23:15:01 -0700

Thank you all for the kind comments.  I will try to answer them here rather than individually.

These are maiden blooms on seedlings planted directly into the ground in Nov. 2003.  Those designated by an A are the first in their cross to bloom.  They each have a dozen or more siblings that I’m looking forward to seeing.

My favorite is the Margaret Inez X Ruffled Goddess baby.  It’s stalks are 38” tall, fairly well branched and have seven buds.  The bright pink flowers glow in the sun as they dance above their healthy green foliage.  It’s most obvious fault is that they are rather small for such tall stalks.  Small flowers is a trait inherited from Ruffled Goddess.  I don’t know what I’ll do with it, but I’ll keep it for sure for a year or two of further evaluation.  The clump blooming in the background is an arilbred, Byzantine Art.

My second favorite is the pale pink with big pink beards, Elegant Girl X Happenstance.  The stalks are fairly short and have only six buds.  I like pastel, but I don’t like pale.  I have already put pollen from Pink Champagne on two of its fresh flowers in the hopes of correcting those two faults.  I still have to wait for about 40 of its siblings to bloom.  I am hoping that I’ll have a very hard time choosing the best of them.  On one flower those pink beards seem to end in a fuzzy pink horn.  It’s the nearest thing to an SA that I’ve seen so far.

Four of the Mesmerizer X Pink Champagne cross have bloomed already.  The first that opened in February was a spectacular white.  The second bloomed one muddy pink flower on a stalk that had several empty spathes.  The one in the picture is the third.  The fourth, which opened this morning, is a two tone blue.  I can’t believe it!  How can that cross produce a blue?  It’s a poor thing that won’t stay there long.  None show any horns or flounces.

The Pond Lily X Happenstance is my least favorite.  It opens deep orchid and fades to a lighter mauve pink.  It’s hafts seem narrow and its heavy lace seems to curl the edge of the falls.  It has a strange zigzag stalk.  I’m not sure of the bud count yet.  I’m really hoping that among its dozen siblings I’ll find something better.

Francelle Edwards  Glendale, AZ  Zone 9

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
click here
Web Bug from http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=298184.6018725.7038619.3001176/D=groups/S=:HM/A=2593423/rand=520322774