Field Days

Hi

I'd like to share our iris promotion that we did last week.

A popular rural event in Aust is the field day. Each state will have 1-3 a year in various areas. Last week we went to one in Lucindale in the south-eastern area of South Australia. This is a big sheep, cattle and wine growing area.
Basically a Field Day is not a cattle exhibition or showground, No rides, no show competitions. It is a big rural expo of just about anything a rural person might want to buy or know about. Tractors, Headers and Harvesting Equipment, Solar Pumps, Cattle Crush, Cars and Trucks, Boots, Clothing, Plants, Regional Foods, Health Aids, Community Services and much, much more.
We attend to sell irises and daylilies and despite the severe drought didn't do too badly. The Lucindale one is the only field days we attend which has a kid's trail, where children are given a map with certain sites marked. They then go over the whole field days (about 20 acres) visiting these sites and getting a free gift at each of these sites (usually about 16-20 places) We gave each child a median iris (surplus stock) and in total gave away about 500 plants. Last year we gave spuria irises, but unfortunately the area had it's driest spring ever, so not all the spuria made it. We hope the beardeds do better and certainly the long term weather forecast is much better this year.

I've attached some photos of the field days.

Hope your season is warming up nicely, looks like the drought is finally starting to break a bit down here.

Colleen Modra
Adelaide Hills
South Australia

__._,_.___