Re: Worried about my potted-up Bearded Iris..

  • Subject: Re: Worried about my potted-up Bearded Iris..
  • From: Cordesview <cordesview@m33access.com>
  • Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2007 21:48:17 -0400

Dear Iris in the Garden.

I am a little north of you, in USDA zone 4a.  I think it would be safe for you to begin "mining" out your potted bearded iris from the ground.  The "Spring" weather seems a little early to me, but the majority of bearded iris will survive.  Better for you to slow down your spring growth by unearthing your pots, than to risk any chances of rot setting in

With the nice warm days for the past week, we have lost all our snow, and the frogs in the wetlands have begun to chirp at night!

My bearded iris are not in pots, they are planted directly in the ground.  I have noticed that the fans have begun to grow new leaves, some of them are already 4 inches (10cm) tall.  With Iris that have been mulched with just a little wood chips, I see fans that have not completely softened/died from our harsh winter.  One cultivar in particular showing the least winter damage is GOT MILK. It was planted right into the wood chip mulch.

If I'm not too busy with bookwork tomorrow, I'll try and take a few photos of my iris (and post them on the iris photos archives www.hort.net/lists/iris-photos )in their current state.

From Michigan:

Recent Activity
Visit Your Group