Re: AB: sdlg

  • Subject: Re: AB: sdlg
  • From: "donald" <donald@eastland.net>
  • Date: Sun, 30 Mar 2008 01:16:49 -0000

>The only one I ever grew was JEWEL OF OMAR, which I gave away after
not being able to germinate its few seeds.

Yep. That's the sort of cross I really work on. Results are hard to
come by. Using an unbalanced chromosome parent like JEWEL OF OMAR as
one of the parents generally yields very few seeds if you are even
lucky enough to get any seeds to begin with. Germination is even
more rare. After a decade of attempts, I'm having a good year in
getting some seedlings. Now if only I can keep them alive and growing
to blooming plants....This seedling has two balanced amphidiploids as
parents, so getting viable seeds is much easier.

>I'm sure that had more to do with my inexperience at the time than
with any deficiency in the plant.

I'd rather guess it was the plant. I obtained pods only once from
JOA - no germination. Some of the type seemingly won't even give a
bad seed. Had some of those that did manage in the extraordinary
season last spring.