Re: Variegated Seedlings

  • Subject: Re: Variegated Seedlings
  • From: irischapman@aim.com
  • Date: Fri, 27 Mar 2009 13:00:13 -0400

They are interesting seedlings. But, I think you need to wait until
they are growing in regular garden soil before deciding what the
foliage is going to be. Right now they have white edges, but no real
variegation. Sometimes this happens with young plants, and most times
these edges disappear with time. Sometimes it is a soil problem.

It is very rare to get variegated seedlings without a variegated pod
parent. I have only heard of one example of this. Sandy Ives had three
from a cross. I'm guesting two of these here.

Donald got some from a cross involving a bearded iris and an aril (or
aril bred). This sort of thing can happen in interspecies crosses.

White seedlings can crop up occasionally in a regular iris cross, from
a mismatch of control genes in nucleus and plastid genes. But these
plants just die.

Chuck Chapman

Variegated Seedlings

Posted by: "iris4u2@comcast.net"
iris4u2@comcast.net

robert_vanliere

Thu Mar 26, 2009 7:26 am (PDT)

I have attached a photo of one of my 2008 crosses which was between a
seedling which I haven't done anything with 98-23 (Champagne Elegance x
Satan's Mistress) which does rebloom.

X Ozark Rebounder (which is also a rebloomer).

0A
No photo's of the children to share obviously but the reason for the
posting is out of the 200 plus seedlings currently germinating 3% are
variegated.  I rarely get one seedling to germinate with variegated
foliage let alone 6 in one cross.

If anyone has statistics on the percentage of variegation coming from
within a cross I would be interested.

Thanks,

Bob in Denver

PS - It is finally snowing in Denver after a very dry winter!  Yeah,
some badly needed moisture even if it is in the form of snow.