Re: Variegated Seedlings

  • Subject: Re: Variegated Seedlings
  • From: "Donald Eaves" <donald@eastland.net>
  • Date: Fri, 27 Mar 2009 13:45:39 -0500

That's interesting. I've only had variegated foliage show up in TBxAB
seedlings - never from any other type cross. I think my percentages aren't
very meaningful since the total number of seedlings from any given cross
don't involve large numbers. The one in the photo was one of only four
seedlings. At full pixel size, you can really see the variegation. They
are relatively common for the type cross and vary greatly in the amount of
white on the leaves. The variegation tends to be in random streaks of
silvery white (not creamy or yellow white). It sometimes is so faint that I
haven't noticed it being there for some time, other times there is
considerable streaking. Your seedling is showing a larger area than I
generally see. Whether faint or extensive, the plant will grow that way
throughout its lifespan. The variegation doesn't increase or disappear, so
it seems to fixed. Unfortunately, many of them aren't strong growers as
mature plants and giving them full Texas sun has been lethal for most of
them. The grow and last longer with shade here. The one in the photo was a
robust grower as a seedling with good increase, then proceeded to bloomout
on the original fan and every single increase fan. I do have a single
seedling from this plant. It's been really wimpy but has started to do
better. Definitely not variegated. But then it is an ABxAB. I didn't
expect the variegation to transmit, but a single seedling wouldn't be enough
to prove that.

Donald Eaves
Texas Zone 7b, USA

JPEG image