saturaton in iris photos

It's not unusual that photos of irises will have unrealistic colors.  With digital photo editing programs, we have an easy chance to correct colors to what we perceive with the eye.  Hybridizers and nurseries should be most careful not to use photos with flowers colors that are too vivid in color, resulting in disappointed or angry customers when the plant blooms in their garden.
The appearance of the foliage in a photo can give a clue as to whether the level of color saturation is correct.  If the leaves seem to have a realistic color, chances are that the flower does too.  If the foliage is a neon shade of green, it may be that the colors in the flowers are correspondingly too vivid.
The first picture shows what I think are correct colors.  The second shows it over-saturated.  The third shows that a person who knows Photoshop can probably fool us by making the flower overly vivid while leaving the foliage natural-looking.
It must be said that there are all kinds of variables affecting the color we perceive in a photo, and that what I have written here is only a general guideline.
Lowell Baumunk

JPEG image

JPEG image

JPEG image