Re: saturaton in iris photos
  • Subject: Re: saturaton in iris photos
  • From: irischapman@aim.com
  • Date: Mon, 08 Mar 2010 11:37:35 -0500

In terms of checking colour of a flower against it's photo  on screen, several factors are at play. your camera, and your screen for example. (or heaven's forbid, your colour perception)

The danger of correcting a photo  to the actual flower is fraught with danger.  Most monitors have not been colour corrected, so it will not display the same on another monitor. While LED monitors are less expensive to operate (power consumption) they don't seem to be as accurate ascathode ray monitors.

I have two moniters set up on my computer. The LED Benq is one of the better LED monitors for colour, but not even a close match to my 21" Triniton  cathode ray monitor, which has superb colour. It is the one I use to adjust colour on pictures, to try to match original colour.  This monitor has also been calibrated using photoshop , so that helps give it  more accurate colour.

A test of your monitor is to print out pure printer ink colours from your colour printer and hold up to your monitor with a display of these colours. The printer ink is Cyan (a blue-green). Magenta and yellow. Combined with black to give what is called a CYMK  format, which is what is usually used in printing process, in computer printers and in comercial printers (with standard printing)

So if you colour correct a digital photo on an uncalibrated or inaccurate monitor, colour will not be correct on someone else's monitor, and perhaps a slightly off photo is made worse.

Chuck Chapman