Re: to be or not to be

Mike Sutton wrote:

> Thanks for the great message Griff.  You are right on.  Besides when has bud
count *really* made a difference to judges?  :-)  VANITY is a prime
great flower, 5 buds, Dykes Medal.?  Beauty is definitely in the eye of

Partial agreement here. Many judges concentrate on "distinctiveness" and
ignore an extra bloom, which should be very important. One JT teacher at
the national, who knows a jillion times more about iris than I ever
will, even stressed that extra buds can be a negative, sinch they may
rot rather than bloom. To me it seems that although the fact is true,
the lesson is wrong.

BTW, Vanity does send up extra stalks, somewhat mitigating the bloom
count. Your comment is, of course quite correct, however. I suspect that
this beauty would not have had her success without her more famous
daughter. I guess that should be "daughters" since some like Pink
Bubbles better than Beverly Sills.

Gerry Snyder, AIS Symposium Chair
Region 15 Ass't RVP, JT Chair
in warm, winterless Los Angeles

Would you like to save big on your phone bill -- and keep on saving
more each month? Join beMANY! Our huge buying group gives you Long Distance
rates which fall monthly, plus an extra $60 in FREE calls!