Re: new blooms

  • Subject: Re: [iris-photos] new blooms
  • From: Dennis Kramb <dkramb@badbear.com>
  • Date: Sat, 5 May 2001 09:13:02 -0400

>Very pretty. I looked at the photo before reading your paragraph and
>also decided it looks like a siberian. It does not look like my I. longipetala
>nor those I've seen growing at the U.C. Berkeley Botanical Garden. I'm
>attaching a picture of a white longipetala from the Garden. The others
>differ by having purple veins.
>
>Attachment converted: Macintosh HD:longipetala white.jpg (JPEG/ogle)
>(001369C8)

Ken thanks for posting the real longipetala.  I did some reading and
strangely enough the description well matches my plant... everything
but the long petals.

One other peculiar item is that the flowers on mine are attracting
those tiny black ants.  I've never known an iris to do this.  Are
ants attracted to Siberians?  Are they attracted to I. longipetala?
I don't recall ever reading about it before.

And no, there's no aphids to be found...... besides, when ants &
aphids get together it's usually at the base of a plant, not at the
flowers.
--
Dennis Kramb; dkramb@badbear.com
Cincinnati, Ohio USA; USDA Zone 6

for Parents magazine - just for being a Mom!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/.sIrMC/YKfCAA/qvCFAA/GjZVlB/TM