Re: FOGBOUND

  • Subject: [iris-photos] Re: FOGBOUND
  • From: neilm@charter.net
  • Date: Thu, 17 May 2001 12:26:46 -0000

--- In iris-photos@y..., "Patrick Orr" <PatrickJOrr@h...> posted:
photo, FOGBOUND.

Patrick, that is the best photo of FOGBOUND I have yet seen.  I saved
a digital copy in my "pictures" folder--with a code attached
identifying it as yours.

Keppel was really excited about the seedlings he had from FOGBOUND
and LOTUS LAND.  Both of them have "pastel" rather than "tangerine"
coloring, especially in the beard.  Refreshing!

Which calls to mind something I've noted among the "new" (to me)
cv's.  AMBROISIE is also remarkably beautiful.  The published
pictures (Aitken--too dark, Cayeux--color wrong--looks blue-and-pink,
and one other, forget where) do not begin to do it justice.  It, too,
has a pastel-looking beard, appearing soft rose-pink, very attractive
on the soft rose-pink petal color that I wouldn't describe
as "raspberry" unless one added a whole lot of thick cream to the
berries).  The color of the flower, the form and texture, the
bloomstalk are impressive.  The standards have been fully closed here
on each of the blooms so far.  The published photos show standards
somewhat open.  Also, it is fertile--both pod and pollen--which I
find very helpful.  Next year, if my FOGBOUND doesn't freeze again (I
had only one blossom, at ground level, but podded it anyway) I intend
to cross the two.  AMBROISIE is strongly grounded in Melba Hamblen's
work and carries that line forward with verve.  That's a useful and
powerful heritage.

Neil Mogensen   zone 7a near Asheville, NC