Re: I. MORAEA VS DIETES

    Dietes (grandiflora, iridiflora) is the correct name for the
common evergreen plants we have here in CA - both of the forms (and
others less common) that Francesca mentions. At times I have heard of
the pale yellow referred to as a Moraea or African Iris. The true
Moraea's are a tribe of bulbous irids native to South Africa. They
are winter growers - going dormant in summer, narrow wispy foliage
and small very iris-like flowers. In the garden here Moraea
polystachya is dependable in well drained soil. Others are Moraea
disticha, aristata and villosa. All are best acquired from seed - see
Rachel Saunders Silverhills seed catalog on the net  -
http://vvv.com/~amdigest/silvrhil.htm for an excellent listing of SA
seeds including moraea....

Chad Schroter

--- In iris-photos@y..., "Francesca R Thoolen" <irisgirl2@h...> wrote:
> Harold, That sounds familiar but I do believe that if this is so,
it is
> confusing because I. moraea and what is selling in nurseries as
Dietes do