Re: Storing rhizomes?

  • Subject: Re: [iris-photos] Storing rhizomes?
  • From: "Harold Peters" <harold@directcon.net>
  • Date: Sun, 27 May 2001 10:07:24 -0700

The answer is yes, rhizomes can be stored for awhile. The length and storage conditions vary depending on what type of iris is involved. If the rhizomes are TBs. Storage is best when cool, dark and DRY. I have replanted rhizomes out of the ground for 1 year with 90+% success. Soak for 12 to 24 hours, cut old roots as short as possible and then "mud in" to plant.  Planting needs to be a minimum of 4 weeks before frost and since no one knows when the first frost will be, it can be somewhat of a gamble. Potting can work to extend the planting time if there is a way to overwinter the pots.
Harold Peters
Beautiful View Iris Garden
2048 Hickok Road
El Dorado Hills, CA 95762