Re: TB:Bird damage HELP!!!!

  • Subject: Re: [iris-photos] TB:Bird damage HELP!!!!
  • From: Pat Mitchell corgilover@wi.rr.com
  • Date: Sat, 31 May 2003 22:06:33 -0500

Robert Dickow wrote:
 > Have you actually seen sparrows eating these iris? I thought
 >sparrows were seed eaters. I have NEVER had a bird of any sort eat
 >any of my garden plants.

Yes - I WATCHED the little buggers cling to the side of the giant TB
buds and peck away - they flew away when I tried to get close enough
for a photo.  They do this to my Autumn Joy sedum leaves (two gardens
away) EVERY year - but until now, I've never seen them go after the IRIS.

Gina wrote:
 >Those little flying weasels (sparrows) will do that to my daylilies
 >when the weather gets too dry . . . <snip>

We had an inch of rain last night (the damage happened today), and
there is a FULL bird bath within 15 feet of the most damage . . . . so
I don't think they are looking for water.

I'll try to find the repellent and bird tape tomorrow - this is really
heartbreaking - I don't have enough Irises yet to have any buds be
expendable.

I used to call pigeons *rats with wings* - now I think I'll call
sparrows *flying weasels*!

Thanks to all who answered my call for help!  I'll keep you all posted.

--
Pat Mitchell
corgilover@wi.rr.com

Get a FREE REFINANCE QUOTE - click here!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/2CXtTB/ca0FAA/ySSFAA/2gGylB/TM