Re: HYB: SA from non horned seedlings

  • Subject: Re: [iris-photos] HYB: SA from non horned seedlings
  • From: "Patrick Orr" <irisdude@msn.com>
  • Date: Sat, 1 May 2004 18:30:55 -0700
  • Seal-send-time: Sat, 1 May 2004 18:30:55 -0700

Sterling,

As we have found out, horns and flounces show up or can show up better here in the SW better than up north by you.  I bet a number of those seedling would have horns if planted down here.  Mike Sutton lives in zone 8, and I live in zone 9.  Both of these zones are excellent for SA _expression_.

I am unsure about the SDB range of SA _expression_, but I'm not sure it would make much difference.

Also, sometimes a cv has to be totally mature before expressing some of its traits, and I am inclined to think the bloom next year on those seedlings might express some appendages that they did not this year.

Patrick Orr
Phoenix, AZ  Zone 9
USA