Re: HYB: SA from non horned seedlings

  • Subject: Re: [iris-photos] HYB: SA from non horned seedlings
  • From: Cathy <kittencampi@earthlink.net>
  • Date: Sat, 01 May 2004 18:35:03 -0700

Sterling Okase wrote:
Hi everyone,

I raised this question a couple of years ago. The
question was if I crossed the resulting non-horned
seedling from a SA cross to a non SA iris, would I get
seedlings with horns. Someone (I believe it was Milk
Sutton) said I would get horned seedlings even if the
seedling being used didn't show any horns. So I made
some crosses and planted the seeds and got them all to
bloom. None of the seedlings were horned, not even
small horns. These were seedlings in the SDB range. So
now I am wondering if the results that Mike (or
whomever it was) talked about was TB results. Maybe TB
with the higher chromosome count will pass SA traits
more readily to seedlings when the parent is not
horned. Any ideas why I got no horns in the second

Do you Yahoo!?

 The seedlings from your seedling cross had a very small chance  of having horns if they were crossed to a cv with no SA tendencies.

Hot weather seems to have the most effect on the strength of SA _expression_ so early blooming SDB's don't have much of a chance climate wise.

If you are interested in getting horns or NOT getting horns there is a dicussion on visual indicators at Hort.net;Mailing list; SpaceAgeRobin; April 04. Look for subjects about shelves,ledges or BSE.

Cathy and Michael

Yahoo! Groups Links