HYB: TB: GACG-12/13, etc

  • Subject: [PHOTO] [iris-photos] HYB: TB: GACG-12/13, etc
  • From: Linda Mann <lmann@volfirst.net>
  • Date: Tue, 25 May 2004 08:27:25 -0400

This is the third sibling from that cross, the only orange one with TB
sized blooms, and wouldn't you know, it's the shortest one, and has the
lowest bud count.  But it blooms later, so is less likely to be hit by
freeze damage.  The blooms are still small for a TB, but quite a bit
bigger than the others.

Not a very flattering photo, but the color is closer to what all of them
actually look like than the other two I posted.

And lots of nice yellows from that same cross that I'm keeping, as John
Reeds says, until I get something better.  Including a few with nice
orange beards.  All are smallishTB sized, none with the form or small
size of 1 & 5.

This is the only one that I've had luck in making crosses in the past,
but I have some pods from pollen from the others this year, and even a
bee pod from one of them on the ridgetop.  Two babies from this and
IMMORTALITY bloomed this year - nothing to get excited about.

Here are the few notes I took on the ridgetop this year:

GACG-1: 33 to 36 inches tall, bud count around 8, show branching, 3
stalks on 3 rhizomes transplanted last year.

GACG-5: 29 to 38 inches tall, bud count 6 to 14, variable branching -
one with low branch, one with 2 very low (basal) branches, plus one
additional large branch.  Three stalks on 4 rhizomes.

Notes from last year say GACG-5 was taller than GACG-1 at the house and
'gawky, not as good'.  The basal branching was not present on the plants
at the house, and GACG-1 produces stalks on increase, so is a fuller
looking clump when the basal branching isn't there.

no notes on GACG12/13, which blooms later, when I was busy daubing

And no notes that I can find on how big the flowers are, darn it.  The
only bloom size notes I took are on seedlings with larger than average
flowers.  I thought I might have measured them for the discussion we had
about this last year, but the thread was about AIS, registration, and
heights being out of class, more than bloom size being out of class.

Well, like any proud parent, I have rattled on with a lot more than
anybody really wanted to know.  Sorry.

Linda Mann east Tennessee USA zone 7/8

Yahoo! Groups Links

JPEG image