Re: Request for any irises matching

  • Subject: [PHOTO] Re: [iris-photos] Request for any irises matching
  • From: "Neil A Mogensen" <neilm@charter.net>
  • Date: Fri, 28 May 2004 13:20:50 -0400

I've seen "Cat's whiskers" used in Mid-America catalogs.
I've always just called them "haft markings" or "haft marks...along the beard" or some such.
Some irises are enhanced by them.  Others repell.  It just depends on the neatness and the biases of the viewer.
The more extreme ones result from nearly solid "umbrata" fall overlays, using the term Linda Mann has introduced.  The opposite extreme of "umbrata" are the butterfly wing veinings covering the fall.  The trait comes from *Iris variegata.*  I suspect all expressions of the markings you show are variations of the umbrata pattern.
Most umbratas are bitone, but this one seems to have such intense coloration in the standards it comes off as a self.  The amoena from Meek in a subsequent post in response to yours has both the Progenitor "I-sub-s* inhibitor *and* the umbrata, as do many of the very dark bitones and bicolors.
Neil Mogensen   z  7 western NC mountains.

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
click here

Yahoo! Groups Links