the color question

  • Subject: [PHOTO] [iris-photos] the color question
  • From: "Donald Eaves" donald@eastland.net
  • Date: Sun, 1 May 2005 20:53:04 -0500

This is for Chuck mainly, but I thought since I got more than one reply some
others might be interested as well.  The one in the circle is an opening
bloom of the original.  I used it because it indicates the pinkish tone
better.  The one I've been waiting on to complete what is going to bloom
today is the bottom left.  Almost a zonal pattern, but with orange standards
(not so much pink showing) and yellow falls.  The fluorescent yellows are
very similar but the beards aren't the same shades of orange.  The one on
the upper left has pale orange beards, not yellow as the photo seems to
indicate.  The middle top is a pastel orange self with very red beards.

There are a lot of seedlings from this cross, but the others will have to
wait another year to see.  Some didn't get lined out last year and didn't
have a chance.  Of the 25 or so these were the only five that are going to
bloom this year.

Thanks to Paul, Chuck, Neil and Dan for their replies.  At the least those
replies have told me some of what's NOT there.  That's useful.  And if I've
gone down for the third time, it won't be the first time I've done that.
Everytime I take on too much information, a bit more sticks with me.

Thanks.

Donald Eaves
donald@eastland.net
Texas Zone 7b, USA