RE: REB: Rebloomers for Montana

  • Subject: [iris-photos] RE: REB: Rebloomers for Montana
  • From: "Neil A Mogensen" neilm@charter.net
  • Date: Tue, 3 May 2005 09:29:20 -0400

Linda Weaselhead has commented: "I love Montana but it is so hard to wait
for things to bloom.  But I love all the pictures and wish I knew which ones
would do well here, anyone know a rebloomer that would do well in Montana?"

Mary Swan-Young's suggestions are excellent.

Another resource you might tap is the experience of other Region Eleven iris
growers, especially the western Montana folk.  The one best contact, if you
have not already made her acquaintance, is the RVP for the region, Ann
Violette, who lives in Polson.  Her e-mail address is aviolet@polson.net .

As I recall, I met Ann many years ago when I was briefly the RVP for the
region and made a visit to the Missoula area during the time of their peak
bloom and the local Iris Show.

I might suggest the small 17" IB MIDSUMMER NIGHT'S DREAM from Lowell
Baumunk.  It comes close to a perpetual bloomer, as its rebloom starts in
midsummer and continues to frost once you have enough of its increase to
allow this kind of performance.  It has a delightful rich violet flower of
lovely form.

Another possible one to try is the much favored IMMORTALITY, one of Lloyd
Zurbrigg's all-time greats.  It has a reputation for taking a rather long
time to settle in and get acclimated, but once it does it blooms and blooms
and blooms, with beautiful, clean and sparkling white flowers.

Many other similar and equally good potentials for your difficult climate
exist, but successful rebloom depends also on first rate care--ample food
supply without inducing rot from over feeding, plenty of sun and freedom
from competition from weeds, tree roots and other nutrient-robbing plants,
and a consistent supply of moisture.  Most irises have a tendency to shift
to a summer slumber if they get too dry for too long, and this will not
break back into active growth until fall.  A sleepy iris will not bloom.

I wish you well!

Neil Mogensen  z 7 Reg 4 western NC mountains

Yahoo! Groups Links