Re: Identifying unknowns

  • Subject: [iris-photos] Re: Identifying unknowns
  • From: Linda Mann lmann@volfirst.net
  • Date: Sat, 07 May 2005 06:10:50 -0400

I think we've all been there done that re: unknowns.

But I wouldn't necessarily give up on IDing a special iris or two.  Some
take years or decades to sort out, but provide another route to learning
about irises.  And if it's one with sentimental value, by all means, I
would keep trying to ID it.

The only unknowns that I'm still trying to ID are some of the
extraordinarily durable ones I've used in pollen daubing.

Plus that weedy diploidy looking old neglecta thing that everybody in
western NC and east Tennessee grows.

But trying to ID something as generic as, for example, a blue iris is
nearly impossible.  I have one of those, & I haven't completely given up
on it, but certainly am amused that I ever thought it would be easy.

If you have a lot of unknowns you are trying to ID, and are really
serious about getting the right names, start cutting and taking stalks
to local shows and ask for help - the actual stalk in bloom will have
some qualities that are distinctive that are impossible to capture in a
photo.  Then start buying rhizomes of those best guesses from reliable
sources for comparison.

Linda Mann east Tennessee USA zone 7/8

Yahoo! Groups Links