PHOTO: Luminata in standards was[1901-2K-petalpusherpaul]

  • Subject: [iris-photos] PHOTO: Luminata in standards was[1901-2K-petalpusherpaul]
  • From: "Neil A Mogensen" neilm@charter.net
  • Date: Sat, 7 May 2005 06:31:54 -0400

Dr. Meckenstock posted a tight closeup cropped to the central part of the
flower of the HISTORIC: Los Angeles on the 5th.

In it, I noted the pigment in the nearly white central base area of the
standards had a faint shading of violet blue *between* the veins, not in
them.  The veins were pure white.  The effect was never noted in just
looking at the flower in the garden when I grew this variety many years ago.

In Dan's photo, however, the effect is well defined and grows slightly more
intense as one moves further away from the central rib and from the base of
the petal.  Even at its richest pigmentation areas, however, the effect is
very faint.

What you see in 1901-2k, Paul, looks like what I see as well, and saw in the
LOS ANGELES close-up.  One would never classify Los Angeles as a luminata,
nor this one either, although both show a degree of luminata distribution in
the anthocyanin in the standards, even if only quite faint in pigment
intensity.

This is most curous and a thing I've never noted before.  As the few
plicatas I have come into bloom I'm going to take a close look at the
standards to see if the same thing is present in any of them.

From what has been posted (on more than one occasion) by Chuck Chapman on
this list and on Iris-talk, plicata genetics is a wee bit complex even
though there are only three or four recessive alleles to the PL blue self
dominant.  In tetraploids these can occur in a number of combinations and
account for glaciata, luminata, plicata and plicata-luminata patterns, and
probably the ZONAL pattern as well.  (That remains to be studied more
carefully.)

It is a most attractive flower, Paul.  Thanks for the closeup post!

Neil Mogensen  z 7  Reg 4  western NC mountains