In a message dated 5/6/2005 11:28:48 PM Mountain Daylight Time, wells@train.missouri.org writes:
First time bloom here. Different sort of flower... I have no info on
this flower in my database. Any help out there?

Hybridizer:  Benbow.  Registered in 1953, introduced in 1954.  An RB in today's system.  A first-generation stolonifera-bred, to use the old term, which more succinctly explains the unusual pattern.  The only pedigree I have for it is I. stolonifera X TB seedling.

It was registered soon after AIS changed from the old color code system to verbal descriptions and when the older term "squalens" had pretty much been replaced by "blend".  The catch is that the "blend" of the '50s was not what we call a "blend" today.  It meant that the flower had multiple pigments, but said nothing about the pattern.

This may be more than you want to know, but because the registered description is not very helpful in modern terms I wanted to assure you that what you have looks like the real thing -- and it's indeed a treasure.

Sharon McAllister

Yahoo! Groups Links