Re: Unknown Historics blooming ...

  • Subject: [iris-photos] Re: Unknown Historics blooming ...
  • From: "Sheri" mnhop2@yahoo.com
  • Date: Mon, 09 May 2005 13:46:15 -0000

Thanks For the help Dave.

I. germanica was on my list of possibilities for the Dk purple
unknown.  Help me understand it right.. this plant is growing about
right or should be bigger that what its doing??  The place where
they are at hasn't seen soil ammendments in the 32 years I've lived
in the house.... I'm tempted to dig everything out of those beds..
and completely redo them...Phlox and all..

Sheri in MN

--- In iris-photos@yahoogroups.com, "David Ferguson"
<manzano57@m...> wrote:
> Hi,
> The ones labeled as DkPurpleHistoric appear to me to be I. x
germanica.  They look a great deal like the cultivar{s}
called 'Crimson King' and 'Nepalensis'.  The photos do not appear to
match exactly the photos I have of 'Crimson King', which have
slightly darker coloring and the dark veining at the hafts slightly
thicker; however, they are so close that the difference could be
cultural, and they could indeed be the same.  These should be early
flowering and barely larger than IB size (with rather small flowers
as compared to most TB's).
> Hope that gets you closer.
> Dave

Yahoo! Groups Links