Re: Abbey Road pigments

  • Subject: [iris-photos] Re: Abbey Road pigments
  • From: Linda Mann lmann@volfirst.net
  • Date: Wed, 11 May 2005 14:34:20 -0400

There is a tiny bit of purplish veining in the throat on both the claw
of the standards and the haft of the falls.  Combination of personality
and camera means I probably can't get a photo worth posting.  If
somebody will post (please, don't send directly to me) a closeup of
hafts/claw of glaciata, I can compare.

Most of the pigment wound up in the lamp oil, maybe a little in the
alcohol.  It's nearly 90oF here and the alcohol extract (after adding
lamp oil) is pretty murky.  Will photograph and post if you want.

<Every time I see a photo of Abby Road, I have two thoughts.
                   1) It looks very much as if it could be a glaciata
plicata. I don't
                   see any signs of residual anthocyanin. Any comments
from those people
                   who havwe seen it in person?
                   2) The yellow colour in the standards seem to be a
water based yellow
                   pigment, much as what I have found in the standards
of Seakist. Is
                   anyone prepared to test this? Crush up a standard in
water and see if
                   the yellow pigment is disolved. Can also remove with
warm alcohol but
                   then need to add oil to the extract and shake , to
see if pigment
                   remains in alcohol ( water soluble) or moves to the
oil,(oil soluble).

                   Chuck Chapman

--
Linda Mann east Tennessee USA zone 7/8