Re: for Chris Darlington

  • Subject: [iris-photos] Re: for Chris Darlington
  • From: "donald" donald@eastland.net
  • Date: Fri, 27 May 2005 02:12:44 -0000

>please give it a bit of a chance to see if it will throw
> some increase by the fall.

Yeah, it's getting the chance.  My past experience doesn't make me
very hopeful.  I don't know what caused it, but this year my
seedlings of any cross of any type put on much increase.  At one
point in late summer I was thinking it might even be zero increase.
Must have been weather related somehow.  They were a varied lot
ranging from TB X TB to AB X AB and increase just didn't happen
though the plants seemed healthy and grew well.  That is something
that hadn't happened before and I'm still scratching my head over
the phenomenom.
> Gold Of Ophir should have limited fertility if it's a 1/4 bred,
no ?

True.  It doesn't seem limited enough to qualify.  At least to me.
> Did you do anything special to get it to set a pod ?  If I
> correctly, you were using a chemical to increase you success rate,
> you still doing this ?

Yes, I did it.  The process results in a very high percentage of
balloon pods.  On the other hand, last year I got more seeds from
odd crosses than I've ever managed before.  So I did it again.  I
expect a good more than half of my pods will be balloons this year.
The chemical may remove some fertility barriers, but it does not
affect the unbalanced chromosomes inherent in some plants.  That's a
barrier that is something of a miracle every time a seed forms in
spite of.  Roberto Marucchi is doing - apparently with some success -
 quite a few of those kinds of crosses.  If Thomas Silvers starts
using his diploid results with tetraploids as he seems to be
planning - and has success - then he will be doing the same thing.
For me, those seeds are hard to come by and even more difficult to
coax into germinating.  If quantity was a requirement, I'd quit.  I
make more normal crosses to compensate, but I do concentrate on
those less likely to give me anything - and they often don't :).

Donald Eaves
Texas Zone 7b, USA

Yahoo! Groups Links