Re: ROSEMOHR's growing family

  • Subject: Re: [iris-photos] ROSEMOHR's growing family
  • From: arilbredbreeder@cs.com
  • Date: Sat, 28 May 2005 20:25:06 -0400

"Francesca Thoolen" <arilpums@comcast.net> wrote:

>Donald, It looks like Rosemohr X Esther, the Queen was a good cross in that
>indeed it improved the next generation. It looks like Rosemohr was dominant
>in passing on its coloring and Esther the Queen passed on it broader width
>which is what was needed. It would be good to retain them one more year and
>judge them once more but I think you should use the best of the group to
>continue selection in the next generation. As you have them in the file I
>particularly like the middle one in the top row and the left one in the
>lower row. It would also be nice to get the signal back in, which is
>possible using these two together for another generation.
>My two cents worth ...
>
>Francesca
>arilpums@comcast.net

I agree -- I'm also impressed with this cross.  I'd just like to add that
I've obtained some nice pinkish ABs from the EQ line and even some with
lycopene.  ROSEMOHR was an 1/8th-bred in the quantum system, but in modern
terms it appears to perform like a 1/4-bred.

If I'm right, some of Donald's seedlings could be fully fertile -- and  ANY
that show evidence of fertility should be used!  In my own seedling patch, I
examine flowers with a magnifying glass to assess pigmentation and have often
used the alcohol test to confirm my initial assessment.  Just looking at the
pictures, though, it seems that he may well be on the verge of getting the
long-sought tangerine or coral arilbred.

It may take an outcross to get a signal, but that's fairly easy.

Sharon McAllister