Re: Re: HYB: TB: Eaves "Schreiner blues" #10

  • Subject: Re: [iris-photos] Re: HYB: TB: Eaves "Schreiner blues" #10
  • From: "J. Griffin Crump" jgcrump@cox.net
  • Date: Mon, 8 May 2006 00:09:44 -0400

Donald  --  The branch emanating from near the base of the stalk is said to
be indicative of aphylla ancestry.  Although this branching is found on some
beautiful irises and is a contributor to the overall beauty of the plant,
some judges call it "bad" branching because the stalk cannot be cut to show
on the bench.  This, of course, raises the question:  Are we growing irises
to be beautiful plants or to be exhibited as cut flowers?  I think the fact
that AIS awards are made for plants growing in gardens actually provides the
answer to the question.   --  Griff