Re: SPEC-X: Flying Dragon

  • Subject: [PHOTO] [iris-photos] Re: SPEC-X: Flying Dragon
  • From: thomas silvers tesilvers@yahoo.com
  • Date: Mon, 15 May 2006 03:58:10 -0700 (PDT)

Hello Jim,
Thanks for your interest in 'Flying Dragon', which is
registered but hasn't been introduced yet. Iris City
Gardens is growing it for trial right now. So,
hopefully it is increasing and will be available from
them, in the not too distant future.

This is the first year that I've gotten both 'Paltec'
and my 'Flying Dragon' to bloom. The flower on 'Flying
Dargon' is larger (and has wider - more overlapping
petals) than 'Paltec' but so far I'd have to give
'Paltec' a better rating for overall growth
characteristics. I had a pretty serious borer
infestation in 'Flying Dragon' last season and am
trying to rebuild my stock from the bits and pieces
they left behind. So, I was surprised to get any bloom
at all this season.

Another difference between 'Paltec' and 'Flying
Dragon' is the small amount of pollen that 'Flying
Dragon' produces. I haven't been able to find any on
'Paltec'. So, I've been putting what little pollen I
can get (from 'Flying Dragon') onto 'Paltec' blooms
and also trying some selfings (of 'Flying Dragon').
I'm hoping that I can get two unreduced gametes
together and produce an amphidiploid which should be
relatively fertile.

Maybe you'd have an opinion on a question I've been
mulling over... I'll attach a picture for you too see
what I mean.

What I'm wondering is whether 'Flying Dragon' might be
the product of Iris tectorum pollinated by a
tetraploid bearded.

I had tried quite a few intercrossings of various
bearded irises with Iris tectorum (in both
directions). Although most of the beardeds were
diploids (MTB's, historics and species), I did use a
few tetraploids also. None of the seeds germinated for
me, until 'Flying Dragon' came up (beside a native
violet) in some re-used potting soil. So I don't know
the exact parentage, although it's obviously a product
of my bearded and tectorum dabblings.

Anyway, the wide, almost-overlapping flower segments
make me more inclined to think that it is the child of
one of the tetraploid beardeds. In this case, it would
most likely be a [sort of] triploid -- with 24
chromosomes from the bearded and 14 from Iris
tectorum. 'Paltec' is supposed to be 12 (bearded) and
14 (tectorum). What do you think about this?

By the way, I've got two more unbloomed seedlings that
should be of mixed tectorum and bearded ancestry. The
smaller one is (Iris 'Kupari' X Iris cengialtii) X
Iris tectorum. The larger one (and the one I'm most
excited about) is Iris tectorum alba X (Iris 'Kupari'
X Iris variegata).

Thanks again for your interest.
Take care, Tom

Do You Yahoo!?