Re: chimeras

  • Subject: [iris-photos] Re: chimeras
  • From: "Dan Meckenstock" dmeck@eaglecom.net
  • Date: Mon, 15 May 2006 19:29:36 -0000

OK, I have gone back and looked at some of the chimeras posted here.
Most are in the flavonoid pathway (blue and white) and they involve a
partial fall and/or standard, which means they occurred later in
ontogeny than Paul's.

Paul's chimera occurred in the carotenoid pathway, during early
ontogeny. I like his for two reasons: 1) it shows the interaction
between the carotenoid and anthocyanin pathway. (i.e., anthocyanin is
red in the presence of the yellow carotenoid. Which carotenoid causes
this effect I don't know but we already know yellow carotenoid(s)
induces red anthocyanins in iris. Paul's phot is an excellent example
of this effect), and 2) yellow veins in the haft were not affected by
the mutation (i.e., carotenoid pigments in the veins and falls have a
different regulatory gene. Most already know this too but this flower
is, as I said, excellent proof that different regulatory genes exist
for the carotenoid pathway in the falls and hafts).

Therefore, I consider Paul's flower an excellent teaching tool for the
two points I just made.

--- In iris-photos@yahoogroups.com, Linda Mann <lmann@...> wrote:
> There have been quite a few photos of chimeras posted here over the
> years.

Yahoo! Groups Links