SP: end is near

  • Subject: SP: end is near
  • From: "Donald Eaves" <donald@eastland.net>
  • Date: Tue, 8 May 2007 13:13:31 -0500

The spurias are the last to bloom here. Usually it's hot and windy, but
this year that's not the case. Insects still love to chew on them, though.
This is a view from both ends of the spurias planted among the limestone
outcropping that forms the ridge of my hill. They've been neglected a bit,
but don't seem to mind. I do wish they didn't go dormant because I really
like the foliage and would love to have it all summer. The white looking
blooms seen in the distance on the top photo are the native digitalis which
are glorious this year. Ordinarily that is a mowed area, but so far I've
only mowed some trails because they are so nice. They began blooming while
the bluebonnets were still a beautiful blanket and I enjoyed that immensely.
They aren't really white, but a pale, pale lavender. With the usual
lawnmower and weedeater crankiness and all the rain that has kept things
growing faster than I can get them under control, I'm beginning to have a
mini-jungle to contend with. That's great! My yard (as it's called) is the
same as the pasture and when it's growing the cows have plenty of forage.
They have such a surfeit at the moment they eat a while and then rest for a
few hours. They usually have to work a lot harder to get their four square
meals in. They'd better enjoy it while it lasts. Every time it rains I'm
afraid it will be the last one for a long time.

Donald Eaves
Texas Zone 7b, USA

Recent Activity
Visit Your Group