Re: HYB: A variation on Iris tectorum

  • Subject: Re: HYB: A variation on Iris tectorum
  • From: thomas silvers <tesilvers@yahoo.com>
  • Date: Tue, 22 May 2007 10:44:19 -0700 (PDT)

Thanks Jan and Christy,

And Jan, I think Iris tectorum is still considered to
be a beardless iris, although it is closely enough
related to the beardeds to cross with them (with some
I'll include the best close-up comparison I can find
of the two different "accessories", so you can see for

And as for growing tectorum in southern California, I
wouldn't know... but I can send you a piece to try
out, if you'd like. It might do just fine if you had a
shadier place for it -- they don't need full sun
anyway. E-mail me your mailing address offlist, if
you're interested.

And I definitely agree Christy, these poor little guys
have been neglected (by hybridizers) and
underappreciated (in general) for too long now. I
can't wait to start incorporating the ones I've grown
from SIGNA seeds. They were from collections in Asia,
so might have some interesting variations to add to
what I'm seeing already. Also, I don't have a picture,
but I have two better (flower-size) whites coming
along too. They're not as nice as that overlapping
purple one but definitely an improvement on the white
I started with.

Thanks again, Tom

__________________________________________________________Get the free Yahoo! toolbar and rest assured with the added security of spyware protection.

Yahoo! News