Seedling MOx(THSW-2)

  • Subject: Seedling MOx(THSW-2)
  • From: Sandy Ives <rives@rogers.com>
  • Date: Tue, 29 May 2007 20:29:11 -0400 (EDT)

This seedling has several sibs that are generally similar, but with different appendages.
A couple have long sharp horns, others have dramatic curls, and my personal favourite has a slight sweet fragrance and an ordinary beard (though heavier than the others).
I took the first bloom spike in to the Toronto show last year.  It was considered the best seedling, but as it had only three buds it was not considered worthy of an exhibition certificate.  Personally, I have no problem with that (and if you want to get into a discussion over the merits, go to iris-talk ;-)  ).
In the fall, I dug the clumps from my father's farm and moved it to Ottawa.  I don't use steroids; but they all went crazy.  This one has three branches, two spurs, and at least nine buds.  There are another four or five sibs in the same plot and all have improved their branching and bud count dramatically.
About the parentage:  'Momentous Occasion' only lasted two years for us because I am incapable of keeping excellent plicatas free of rot, but it was a tremendous parent for those two years (and we ran out of space).  'Tiger Honey' x 'Spirit World' gave me four interesting seedlings (THSW-1, 2, 3, 4) and very different colours.  This is #1 I believe.  All have been sent to Iris-Photos in previous years
The colour is a little darker and there is more yellow in the background.  I'm not sure if it is a fancy or not.  If this is Tuesday, it is a fancy, but Wednesday ?  It is not.
Sandy Ives in Ottawa (hoping the picture isn't too big)

Recent Activity
Visit Your Group
Yahoo! News

Space News