Re: Re: HYB: 07H9 Bloomout

  • Subject: Re: Re: HYB: 07H9 Bloomout
  • From: Pearl Doyle <pdoyle@our-town.com>
  • Date: Wed, 07 May 2008 21:08:52 -0500

Chuck, I live in north central Texas. I noticed some of my iris began to bloom as early as February in a spot where an outdoor light shines all night while others of the same cultivar waited until late April. I would certainly be willing to try your experiment. I have a few SDB's that bloom with the TB's but other's haven't bloomed at all. Pearl

irischap wrote:

Some more thoughts on  cultivation of MDB and SDB in warm southern
climates. If indeed this is the problem, then the solution is to
provide Supplemental light at the time the plants start to grow in the
spring/late winter. This should prevent bloomout.

What happens with plant species, is that they have "longitudinal
clines". That is, the plant biological markers are tuned to their
specific climates, a balance of temperature and optimal photoperiod.
This is well known in tree culture. Specimens of one species ie: Sugar
Maple, , taken from a northern area will go into dormancy way too soon
when grown in a southern location. A sugar Maple  from a Southern area
when  grown in a northern area will not go into dormqncy soon enough
and can be killed by cold temperatures.

Pumilas are native to northern latitudes and are adapted to bloom
after a certain period of growth. This works well in northern
climates, but the farther south you go, the more spring growth you
have before they get the length of daylight needed to bloom. This
upsets the plants biology. We can fool mother nature with Supplemental
light.

Pumila genes are present three times in classic MDB plants and twice
in SDB plants.

I'm willing to provide test plants to Southern growers, who normally
can't grow SDB. The condition is that you must follow a test procedure
of providing Supplemental light to one batch od SDB and not to another.

All I'll ask is to cover costs of S&H. I reserve the right to limit
this offer to the first ten responders. Hopefully there are that many
willing to try this out.

Chuck Chapman

--- In iris-photos@yahoogroups.com, irischapman@... wrote:

That must be it. What is happening (educated guess) , is that the SDB,
which grow fast in spring anyway,  are growing in your climate, before
they get the photoperiod which stimulates  the flower stalk growth
(flower bud initiation). Thus the daughter increases will have advanced
too far to have flowering inhibited by mother rhizome.

This could be part of the reason that MDB and SDB don't do well in
regions farther south. Too much plant growth before the lenght of
daylight needed to trigger bloom, hence bloomout.

Chuck Chapman

        Re: HYB: 07H9 Bloomout

    Posted by:      "orders at Sutton's"
      orders@...

          suttoniris

      Tue May 6, 2008 6:46 am        (PDT)

             Probably a couple of weeks of growth before the first
stalks on the SDBs, maybe that is the problem?  Usually growth is heavy
followed by almost every fan putting up a stalk on the ones that are
prone to bloomout.

Mike