Re: HYB: 07H9 Bloomout

  • Subject: Re: HYB: 07H9 Bloomout
  • From: "irischap" <irischapman@aim.com>
  • Date: Thu, 08 May 2008 01:22:23 -0000

Some more thoughts on cultivation of MDB and SDB in warm southern
climates. If indeed this is the problem, then the solution is to
provide Supplemental light at the time the plants start to grow in the
spring/late winter. This should prevent bloomout.

What happens with plant species, is that they have "longitudinal
clines". That is, the plant biological markers are tuned to their
specific climates, a balance of temperature and optimal photoperiod.
This is well known in tree culture. Specimens of one species ie: Sugar
Maple, , taken from a northern area will go into dormancy way too soon
when grown in a southern location. A sugar Maple from a Southern area
when grown in a northern area will not go into dormqncy soon enough
and can be killed by cold temperatures.

Pumilas are native to northern latitudes and are adapted to bloom
after a certain period of growth. This works well in northern
climates, but the farther south you go, the more spring growth you
have before they get the length of daylight needed to bloom. This
upsets the plants biology. We can fool mother nature with Supplemental
light.

Pumila genes are present three times in classic MDB plants and twice
in SDB plants.

I'm willing to provide test plants to Southern growers, who normally
can't grow SDB. The condition is that you must follow a test procedure
of providing Supplemental light to one batch od SDB and not to another.

All I'll ask is to cover costs of S&H. I reserve the right to limit
this offer to the first ten responders. Hopefully there are that many
willing to try this out.

Chuck Chapman