Re: RE: TB: Deliciously Different

  • Subject: Re: RE: TB: Deliciously Different
  • From: "J. Griffin Crump" <jgcrump@cox.net>
  • Date: Mon, 25 May 2009 17:17:19 -0400

Linda  --  Back in the days of independent hardware stores, a fellow at the then-existing one in old town Alexandria figured out how to start with a commercial fertilizer of 10-16-20 as a base, then add phospate and potash to bring it up to 6-24-24.  I lost the formula a long time ago, and math isn't one of my strong points, so I can't tell you how to do it.  I use Greenview's Wintergreen 10-16-20 (a fall fertilizer) as the base, and then add the amounts of phosphate and green sand (potash) that memory tells me are right (like grandma's unwritten recipes).  If you have a hardware store or feed store there in Lubbock where some of the employees actually know something about what they're selling, one of them might be able to figure out the formula for you.  6-24-24 DynaGreen is manufactured by Hummert www.hummert.com in Missouri.  When I contacted them a few years ago, they offered it to me for $11.50 for 50 lbs.  That was the good news.  The bad news was that it would have to be shipped via UPS, who demands that each bag be boxed separately at an additional cost of $22 per box.  Being closer to Missouri, maybe you could get a local distributor to special order it for you at a reasonable price.  I've always found it curious that we can send people to the moon and back, but the feed/fertilizer distributors can't send something from Missouri to northern Virginia.  --  Griff