TB: more sdlgs
iris-photos@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: TB: more sdlgs
  • From: "Donald Eaves" <donald@eastland.net>
  • Date: Sun, 2 May 2010 10:32:48 -0500

These are three siblings from a cross of (MACHO HOMBRE x KOKO KNOLL) X
PUCCINI. I question the Koko Knoll part of the pod parent. I wondered what
the pattern of Puccini would do. The results here are the three I'm not
tossing this year. The rest look somewhat like the bottom only they had
purple standards and didn't have rims, but did have all the white rays
around the beards. They had more dated form as well. Interesting to me
since the pod parent is bright yellow. The hafts are pretty narrow on the
middle and bottom blooms, and the falls hugged the stem too much on the top
one. However, I'm not growing anything similar to the top two. I know
there's something out there similar in color to the middle one, but I don't
really care for the raspberry on top of the peachy color. Visitors liked
it, though, and it had great presence across the yard so I'll keep it
another year. I was going to trash the bottom one, but it had great
branching and is a bit smaller bloom than the others had so I'll leave it be
for now and see what it does next year. Anyone here used the Puccini
pattern in crosses? What'd it do?

Donald Eaves
donald@eastland.net
Texas Zone 7b, USA