Re: Re; Spuria growth mystery
  • Subject: Re: Re; Spuria growth mystery
  • From: John I Jones <jijones@usjoneses.com>
  • Date: Sun, 2 May 2010 09:23:13 -0700

I think I have seen this before. The stalk is trying to create a new rhizome on that area of the stalk. We have talked about it before either here or iris@hort.  I can't remember what it is called. (.... thinking...)

On May 1, 2010, at 1:16 PM, Elmsterj@aol.com wrote:

    I have had a similar experience with new growth starting up stalks, but my experience was with daylilies.  What I did was to keep looking for little roots to start showing on the small plants on the stalk.  When the roots appeared, I cut the stalk and then left a little section of the stalk on either side of the plants.  Then I planted them, and they grew.  The mother plant was yellow; the babies were sports, apparently, as they bloomed red.

John                | "There be dragons here"
                         |  Annotation used by ancient cartographers
                         | ! ; to indicate the edge of the known world.

USDA zone 8/9 (coastal, bay)
Fremont, California, USA
Director, American Iris Society

Subscribe to iris@hort.net by sending: