Re: HYB: Honky Tonk Blues X Iris junonia
  • Subject: Re: HYB: Honky Tonk Blues X Iris junonia
  • From: thomas silvers <tesilvers@yahoo.com>
  • Date: Mon, 3 May 2010 07:51:13 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Donald and Linda,
I'm mostly just exploring in this case. Iris junonia is supposed to be and is breeding like, a 48 chromosome type tetraploid. I'm just checking to see if it might be harboring something interesting in its genes.
I was pleasantly surprised that these offspring weren't so far from modern looking. They're just at the bottom of the TB size range - I think they measured 28" the other day. This is also surprising since junonia itself is hardly a foot tall here. All three seedlings are showing above average vigor and also have been holding up fairly well to the wind [although they are getting a little sheltering effect by being planted on a hill].

I'm pretty sure junonia will set pods from TB. I have 'Tennnessee Gentleman' pollen on its first bloom for this year so I should be able to tell you for sure later. I do know that it set plenty of seed from Iris aphylla pollen last year - I've got seedlings from that cross that need planted out right now.

I should've posted these links before, but here are the pictures of the parents:

Here's 'Honky Tonk Blues'

Here's the ugly little dude [junonia] ;0)

Linda, that suspected aphylla x junonia seedling that you mentioned isn't really very big. It is probably less than a foot tall. It didn't bloom this year so I can't give you an exact measurement.

Thanks for your interest guys, Tom