Re: Afternoon Delight NOT

Laurie,

I don't want to sound silly, but are you SURE that's not Afternoon
Delight?  The reason I ask is that I've never seen as much
color/pattern variability as I've seen in Afternoon Delight.  I got
mine from Schreiner's, and it bloomed as a quite unattractive dirty
tan-lavender mix (not very close to what I'd expected)the first year
and the second year it was more like what you had, and THEN I saw it
looking quite lovely (and almost exactly the way it looks in most
catalogs) last spring at the Maine Iris Society.  I had assumed that
it was just a cultivar very sensitive to variations in the soil and
climate...but from your very impressive gardens, I don't imagine that
your irises see the wild variations that a lunatic gardener like
myself introduces into the picture (I'm very susceptible to advice,
and veer around wildly from year to year attempting to incorporate it
all...this year it was a combination of super phosphate with a
little "Gardener's Gold", now topped with reemay...).

Anyone else see a lot of variation in Afternoon Delight?

Melanie Tornberg
South Berwick, Maine
(Zone 4/5)