Re: Afternoon Delight NOT

  • Subject: [iris-photos] Re: Afternoon Delight NOT
  • From: laurief@paulbunyan.net
  • Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2001 14:18:19 -0000

--- In iris-photos@y..., melanie-tornberg@i... wrote:
> I don't want to sound silly, but are you SURE that's not Afternoon
> Delight?

You don't sound any sillier than I feel, and the fact is that, no, I'm
not sure it's not AFTERNOON DELIGHT.  I've never seen AD in person,
and the only pics I've seen of it don't seem to match my plant
terribly closely at all.  That, coupled with the fact that I acquired
this iris from an extremely unreliable source from whom I received a
number of other misidentified cultivars left me assuming this was just
another of those.

>The reason I ask is that I've never seen as much
> color/pattern variability as I've seen in Afternoon Delight.

Ah, sort of like THORNBIRD, eh?

>I had assumed that
> it was just a cultivar very sensitive to variations in the soil and
> climate...but from your very impressive gardens, I don't imagine
>that your irises see the wild variations

LOL!  You're kidding, right???  I only started growing irises a few
years ago, and I'm still very much in the "experimental" stage.  My
irises don't experience the same treatment from one year to the next.
Variability is my first, middle, and last name!  And of course,
northern MN *never* provides any climatic variation (90+ summer, -40
winter).  ;-)

So, does anyone else think my *not* AFTERNOON DELIGHT really *is*

zone 3b northern MN