Re: OT: Christmas Cactus and Poinsettia

  • Subject: Re: [iris-photos] OT: Christmas Cactus and Poinsettia
  • From: "heather & bernard pryor" <irishaven@pip.com.au>
  • Date: Sun, 18 Nov 2001 17:07:56 +1100

Hi Mark,

Your "Christmas cactus" is what we call a Zygocactus.  We grow lots of pots of them and keep them out all the time.  They generally bloom in mid July for us.  Perhaps their flowering time has something to do with the winter solstice?  It would seem that they bloom in both hemispheres within a few weeks of this predictable event.  Ours are mainly hot cyclamen, deep cerise, bright red and salmon pink.  They live on our back verandah (facing south which would have the same gardening position as if they were growing near a north-facing wall in the USA) and get all of the worst weather etc.  It doesn't seem to bother them one bit.

Cheers for now,
Heather
Sydney. Land of Oz.
Where one man's Christmas Cactus is another lady's winter cactus!